Sunday, June 21, 2015

Weekly Round-UP: June 14th-20th Edition

Hey guys, it's been a pretty standard week over here (well blog wise, I have no idea what a "normal" real life week is like anymore) and it some mostly good, and some ugly so let's jump into that. For the mostly good I've got a review of Maria the Virgin Witch, the second season of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and a joint write-up on OASG of Donyatsu (which I really do need to read at least a bit more of, it's the kind of straight-up bizarreness but with rules that's so tough to pull off). And then for the ugly I have Helen of Sparta which I had hopes for and then just ended up being not my thing at all and I thought a cop-out for being yet another book about the mythical, Greek Helen that avoids the Trojan War. Presumably all of these authors have thought "well I don't want to make that [the war] the most important thing about her life, I want her to have agency!" which sounds all fine and dandy but it's like writing about a historical figure and cutting out literally the one thing they're known for, not your best move! I actually just finished another, YA this time, book set in Ancient Greece but I'm not sure I'll review that one either; I might have even read it before since I can't believe I found two, separate works on Alcestis with a weird, pseudo-lesbian relationship with Persephone...