Sunday, December 4, 2011

Movie Review: Cowboys and Aliens

And we're back to normal, wohoo! As I've said before, I'm going to try and keep a regular schedule here but I still have two big projects due in a week and those definetly take precident.
 So, while I spent an entire month writing about manga and some anime, I actually didn't see that many movies, mostly because the ones my school is showing now just didn't really interest me. Honestly this movie didn't interest me when the trailers started coming out, and my friends had the same feeling, but for a dollar we were willing to give the movie a shot and we did get a few good inside jokes out of it (also apparently we're, erm, not as quiet with our snarking as we thought, at least the people in front of us found us funny as well).

Cowboys and Aliens





Summary: Aliens coming to Earth and kidnapping ordinary people for nefarious deeds is hardly a new occurrence, even the cowboys in the Wild West had to deal with them. Jake Lonergan isn't exactly sure how he got an alien killing bracelet strapped onto his arm but he does know that they killed his lover so he and the other people in a small western town team up to try and get their loved ones back. 

The Good: It is different to see an alien movie that's not set in the present day/in the later half of the 20th century, so it was kinda cool to see a difference kind of setting. The story also did a good job at spacing out Jake's flashbacks so there was never too much information at once or too little. Several of the action scenes were rather cool as well but there wasn't much else to this story, it was all pretty superficial.

The Bad: Usually I go to movies to see a cohesive and coherent story but there are some times when I just want to see, well, cowboys vs aliens. This movie however didn't quite understand that it's supposed be a popcorn flick and had a lot of really awkward exposition/plot moving/character development scenes which left me feeling bored since they just weren't that interesting. It felt as if late in the script writing process someone realized that maybe they should put a bit more background into the movie and tried to shoehorn it in. There were a number of little plot holes in the movie as well, for aliens that advanced they don't seem very smart or, well, technologically advanced, and in the end I'm glad I only paid a dollar to see the movie.

The Audio: It's been a little while since I've seen the movie but I don't recall that any of the music stood out to me in a good way. Rather, I feel like some of the acting (voice wise) was rather stiff, I can't tell if Jake was supposed to be reserved on purpose or if he just came off that way but it made liking this movie just a bit harder.

The Visuals: Occasionally it seemed like the scale for the alien ships was off but other than that nothing really stuck out to me visual wise. The upside ship was rather neat, and honestly I just usually find the western setting a bit boring visuals wise, but nothing seemed terribly off either.

Sorry the review is a bit short but honestly there's not much else to say, I found the movie kinda boring.  Oh well, not everyone movie is going to be a hit and I didn't go in expecting I would love it either so I'm fine with that. At least I enjoyed the second movie a bit more.